|Archaeologists and visitors mark the discovered postholes and probable locations of to-be-excavated postholes of the possible 1608 church.
Over the past two months the Jamestowne Rediscovery Archeological Project has found what may be the site and remains of the original church at Jamestowne.
In 1610, William Strachey, secretary of the Virginia colony, described Jamestown’s church as “…a pretty chapel…in length three-score foot, in breadth twenty-four…”
The Jamestown Rediscovery team has found six postholes, unusually deep, unusually large in diameter, and most interestingly, they appear to fit perfectly into Strachey’s description of what was Jamestown’s first substantial church, built in 1608 and being the probable location of the wedding of John Rolfe and Pocahontas. There is a sense of cautious optimism among the archaeologists that they have indeed found the spiritual hub of the colony.
CLICK HERE to see the full article on the Historic Jamestowne website, including a video showing how the dig is progressing.
CLICK HERE for a detailed story from the Richmond Times-Dispatch newspaper.
Thanks go to First California Company member James McCall for providing information for this post. Find more interesting news and information about Jamestowne at James’ Jimson Harvest blog.